Looking to start and go fishing and you have a questions. What do I need to go fishing for the first time? Where do I go fishing first? How much will it cost starting out and more?
In this what do I need to go fishing for the first time article. I will try my best to get you where you need to be. For the things you’ll need and the equipment you’ll be needing. Now, the first part you need to ask yourself is.
What type of fishing would you like to start. General coarse fishing, Carp fishing, Fly fishing, Sea fishing, and more. Most start out with float fishing and then move on to more as they learn most of the basics.
So, once you know what type of fishing you’d like to start. You can then move on to getting your fishing gear.
WhichTableGame is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
In A Hurry?
If you do not have time to read the full article, but want to find the best RC bait boat? Below are my recommendations! – two reasonably priced and a highend model
What do I need to go fishing for the first time, let’s start you with some general coarse fishing?
Starting out you’ll want some fishing equipment. The main equipment you need is a rod or pole, a reel and line, Landing net, Rod rest, Bait boxes, tackle box, Chair or seat box, rod-bag, large holdall/bag to carry everything in.
These above are the main big items needed for fishing. Below are some other items needed for your end tackle. These items are things like floats, split-shot weights, some hooks, Bait, feeders, Hooks, disgorger, and more…
If you are young, you’ll need to go fishing with an adult. Preferably with someone who is a fisherman. They are the best person(s) to be able to teach you the basics to get you started. Thankfully I am one of these persons who can teach you the basics as I have been fishing for many years. I started fishing when I was 5 years old with my uncle Tony. Now I am 46 years and still go fishing, not as much as I’d like to but whenever I can.
So, what do I need to go fishing, let’s get you started with the right fishing gear first, you will have to spend some money here for it? I’ll link you to some goods I recommend for starting out, I’ll also, try to find good quality with a low price range for you.
Float rod or pole to go fishing with?
Float fishing is a great place to start your fishing, you can use a rod for this or even a fishing roach-pole. By using a pole I recommend a telescopic whip and some pre-tied pole rigs (this is a length of line with float weights and a hook) already tied and done for you.
A telescopic pole should cost you around £30 a few pole rigs about £2 each, I say to get about ten of these, as you will end up snapping a few starting out. If you hook a fish on the bigger side you’ll defiantly snap a few.
So, you will also need a foldaway chair or seat box to sit on, some bait, and a landing net and pole. Some extra packs of hooks and a couple of plummets. Plummets are used to measure the depth of water you’re fishing. Some food for yourself too. Make sure you always take some drinks with you, especially on the warmer days.
So, that’s it pretty much for a few bits needed to go out on a day fishing, with fishing equipment, it’s something you’ll always upgrade as you go and of cause when you get better at it and catch more fish.
VERY IMPORTANT, what do I need to go fishing for the first time is understanding water depth!
So, why would you want to know the depth of water you are fishing in. The simple reason is most of the time fish feed on the bottom of the water bed, not always but mostly on the bottom.
You would want to place your bait here on or very close to the water bottom bed to the feeding fish.
The image below shows you the wrong and right way to plum the depth of your fishing peg/swim.
Bait and baiting your swim when you go fishing.
Firstly, what baits are you going to use, there are so many choices out there today. Keep it simple and you’ll be fine, don’t go overboard. Stick to four for different hook baits, like Maggots, Sweetcorn, Pellets, Worms, Bread, Meats, Hemp, Caster, and more. Pick a mix of four and them mix and match throughout the day.
You can add more baits to loose feed and to feed and build up your fishing peg. There is ground-bait you can use to, it is used to attract the fish into your swim/peg.
Combinations I like to use would be, pellet & Sweetcorn, Pellet & meat, Caster, hemp, and worm. The trick is to test your baits on the day and find out what the fish are going for most and build on it from there.
Loose feeding to build your swim/peg firstly
To begin with, let’s say you’re going with pellet & corn for loose feeding and hook baits.
With a little ground bait in there too, once you’ve mixed your ground bait and it’s ready, make 3 tennis-ball size balls of ground bait, pick a spot in your peg where your pole line reaches. Then throw the balls of ground bait in, but make a triangle in the water. Then fish your pole line over the top of the triangle.
Also, throw a small handful mix of pellets and corn down the side of your peg left and on the right, then top this up again every hour, but don’t fish over it until much later in the day.
Top up your triangle after every fish, or every five minutes if no fish, top-up should be one handful of ground bait and just a few pinches of corn and pellets. As the day is going, fish will move into your peg to feed. Consistency of regular baiting is key to catching fish or blanking.
Fishing equipment tips what do I need to go fishing
When you are starting out in fishing, you don’t need lots and lots of fancy gear. The basic gear is enough to catch you some fish. Reading and learning is your best option and the more the better to grow your knowledge in all aspects of fishing.
There are some great you-tube video’s you can watch and learn from too, just type in what you are looking to learn in what type of fishing and you should find lots of great videos.
So, for now, get yourself a rod and reel, or a pole and some rigs, a chair, landing net and handle, some bait and away you go. Find a fishing friend or family member to go with for your first couple of fishing trips.
Up to the age of 13 you don’t need one, your fishing licence is free.
From the age of 13 to 16 it is still free.
- 【Best Value Fishing Kit】: BlueFire telescopic fishing rod reel full kit is a perfect gift for youths or adults who love fishing! The full kit includes: Fishing Rod + Fishing Reel + Fishing Line + Fishing Lures + Fishing Hooks + Carrier Bag.
- 【Telescopic Fishing Rod】Our fishing rod is made of high-density carbon fiber, which is lightweight, sturdy and durable. This 2.1m telescopic fishing rod collapses down to just 15.74” long, making it small enough to fit inside most backpacks. Ideal to take hiking and camping to catch bass, crappie, walleye...
- 【Spinning Fishing Reels】Spinning fishing reels feature with 5.2:1 high speed and smooth retrieve rate, more chance to land the big fish. Solidly built durable spinning reel with high performance suitable for most fisherman, beginners, or all-around anglers..
- 【Smooth Guide Rings】Colorful Anti-corrosion guide rings made by high-quality stainless steel and ceramic, which has a good heat dissipation and it can also reduces friction.minimizes friction while also enhancing sensitivity by transferring vibrations from the line through the guide to the rod and to your hand.
- 【Portable&Travel Fishing Rod】The carry bag made of high quality nylon, large capacity allows to load more tools you need. Perfect for freshwater bass trout fishing, saltwater fishing or inshore fishing. Even better it fits easily in your backpack, luggage or boat. Enjoy a great fishing trip anytime!
- 【All-in-One Pack】- This fishing accessories kit has 263 essential items for any angler, including Fishing Hooks, Weights Sinkers, Spinner Blades, Floating Bobbers, Barrel Swivels, Split Rings, and more. It's perfect for any fishing condition, with 34 Hooks, 48 Sinkers, 4 Blades, 4 Bobbers, 30 Swivels, 30 Slides, and other accessories. The kit helps get your bait to the right depth, attract fish, and provide abrasion resistance. The fishing tackle box keeps everything organized and accessible.
- 【Premium Material】-This fishing tackle kit is crafted from high-quality stainless steel that's designed to resist corrosion in seawater, ensuring it remains durable and strong even after extended use. The premium materials used in this kit are carefully chosen to attract more catches and provoke predator fish to strike, making it easier for you to reel in your catch. With this superior bass fishing kit, you can be confident in your gear while you're out on the water.
- 【Easy to Carry around】-PLUSINNO fishing gear comes with a conveniently compact box that measures 7.9" x 5.5" x 0.8", making it easy to carry with you wherever you go. Whether you're heading out for a day on the water or taking a backpacking trip to your favorite fishing spot, this gear fits easily into your fishing seat box or fishing backpack. With this portable fishing tackle, you can enjoy fishing whenever and wherever you want, without having to worry about bulky equipment weighing you down.
- 【Large Organized Tackle Box】- The PLUSINNO fishing tackle set features a large, organized tackle box to keep all your fishing accessories in order. The selector side by side tackle box allows easy classification and storage of fishing stuff. Each accessory has its grid with a cover for easy identification and access. This tackle box kit stores hooks, sinkers, swivels, lures, and other essential fishing equipment ensuring easy access and a stress-free fishing experience.
- 【Perfect Fishing Gifts】- Looking for the perfect gift for the fishing enthusiast in your life? Look no further than the PLUSINNO Fishing Kit! Complete with a well-selected tackle box, it's suitable for both beginner and experienced anglers. It's the ideal gift for any occasion, from Christmas and Thanksgiving Day to Father's Day and Valentine's Day. Give the gift of fishing and watch as your loved one enjoys endless hours of relaxation and excitement on the water.
- 🎣 Warm Prompt: Full Kit with Carrier Case include 1 FISHING ROD + 1 FISHING REEL + FISHING LINE + VARIOUS FISHING LURES + FISHING HOOKS + SOME NECESSARY ACCESSORIES + CARRIER BAG.
- 🎣 Full Kit with Carrier Case is special made for novice, including necessary accessories for fishing. You can use it without buying any other accessories from anywhere.
- 🎣 Perfect elasticity, high density Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass make your fishing pole hard & durable. Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seats is anti-seawater corrosion; EVA Fore Grip for comfort. The telescopic fishing rod is portable, and closed length design is convenient carrying around. Power: Medium.
- 🎣 Instant anti-reverse; Power drive gear equipped for high strength. Deep aluminium spool with double color and one line holes; More short body with large spool and large line capacity. Line capacity: mm/M 0.20/240 0.25/200 0.30/140. Model: EW3000,HA3000; Gear ratio: 5.2:1.
- 🎣 It's the best gift to send father, husband, fiancé, boyfriend for the upcoming Father's Day. Want to buy single rod or single reel? Please search the ASIN: B01MQ1MRIA or B07YFP8KV3.
- STARTER FISHING GEAR KIT includes: 65 inch pink telescopic fishing rod, spinning reel, minnow net, beginner’s guide, fishing lures, carry case and tackle box stocked with gear.
- EASY CAST & RETRIEVE ACTION: Simply cast and then retrieve the fishing line (and hopefully a fish!). Rod is reversible for left-handed casting. Reel arrives pre-spooled with 200 feet of 8 LB line. Kit includes beginner’s guide with diagrams, tips and tricks, plus links to our instructional videos.
- FULLY LOADED TACKLE BOX: The pink tackle box comes with 2 floating bobbers, 10 hooks, 10 split sinkers, 10 swivels, 2 jig heads, 6 plastic worms, 1 crankbait lure and 1 Fishing Net.
- CATCH YOUR OWN BAIT: Skip the bait shop and spend hours of fun chasing crickets and minnows. No need to buy bait - catch your own!
- CARRYING BAG INCLUDED: The pink fishing rod collapses to 17 inches and stores easily in the carrying bag for travel and storage. The whole kit fits under a car seat or in a backpack. No assembly needed!
- NO RISK PURCHASE - MONEY BACK GUARANTEE : Your satisfaction is our guarantee. If you feel this fishing pole is not for you, you are covered with a lifetime warranty and our team will help you refund or replace your purchase.
- Under normal logistics conditions, we will deliver the goods to your hands within 18-25 days. Please rest assured to place an order.
- Fishing rod: High-density carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass to make your fishing rod durable
- Perfect elasticity, high-density carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass to make your fishing rod strong and durable.
- The stainless steel hooded reel seat is resistant to seawater corrosion;
- The telescopic fishing rod is easy to carry, and the closed length design is convenient to carry.
- ●Light, Strong, and Highly Sensitive, fishing rod Full kit is special made for novice, including necessary accessories for fishing. high density Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass make your fishing pole hard & durable.
- ●Perfect elasticity, high density Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass make your fishing pole hard & durable，Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seats is anti-seawater corrosion; The telescopic fishing rod is portable, and closed length design is convenient carrying around
- ●Light Weight and Portable, Easily Fits in Car Trunk, Boat or Backpack, Spinning Rod Reel Combo Allows You to Travel to Your Favorite Fishing Spot and Enjoy Fishing Whenever and Wherever You Want.
- ●Set combination includes: fishing rod, shaft wheel, fishing line, accessories
- ●GIFT: Best gift for father ,son ,boyfriends ,fishmen, fishwomen and Christmas
What do I need for first time fishing?
When fishing for the first time in Fresh Water you will need the following:
A fishing license
A rod and reel for fishing
3 to 12 pound mono-filament fishing line.
Fish hooks (6–11 size)
A plastic fishing line attachment
Live bait or fishing lures.
How do you start coarse fishing?
When fishing for the 1st time, the correct bait for the fish you want to catch is a good start!
Maggots or casters are bout the most effective baits for most coarse fish. Also for people who also want to try other thing to experiment, bread, sweetcorn and luncheon meat can be a good bait for fish such as perch, carp and tench
How do you set up a beginner fishing pole?