How To Practice Foosball By Yourself
I was watching a game of Foosball the other night, being played by two players, both of which were far better than me. I asked if I could play one of them saying that “Practicing against better players improves my game”. They told me that regularly practicing alone is the most important form of practice you can have!
I have never really put a lot of effort into practicing alone, so I thought I would look into this aspect of improving my Foosball game
WhichTableGame is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
It is a great idea to practice Foosball by yourself, if you are serious about improving your game. When you are alone, you can practice the same move again and again, until you have the steps perfected! When playing someone else, you may set up a play a few times during a game, and try out a new play. When you are alone, you can practice the same play hundreds of times an hour. If you want to become a foosball pro, this will be necessary.
But when you practice, you need to be sure that you are picking the right parts of your game which need improving. Also, as you are alone, there is no one to show you how to do a particular play or to critique your style. You need to learn the routine before you practice, and what are the best ways to learn new moves?
How To Start?
Right, so you are alone, have a foosball table, and want to improve your game. How do you start? Well, as an example, the wrist flick is an important skill, being able to shoot the ball incredibly quickly towards the opponent’s goal. To learn this skill:
Read about the wrist flick, the correct stance, how to position your hand on the rods, the technique involved. Then watch some YouTube videos of people making this move, look at their posture and how fast they can hit the ball.
Now it’s your turn, put the ball on the table, and see if you can repeat everything you have learnt. Shoot the foosball towards the opponent’s goal. Then repeat the move, again and again, over time you will improve!
The Best Methods To Practice Alone
Before you can practice any new skill, you need to know how to do it correctly. The best way to gain this knowledge is for someone who is already skilled in this to show you how to make the new Foosball move, then you can try it, and they can tell you if you are doing it correctly.
This way allows you to ask questions and know that you understand the move. You can then practice the skill when you are alone. It will only take a few minutes of the “Experts' time.”
reading a book or blog post
If there is no expert to show you a new skill, you can try reading a book or blog post on how to perform this latest move. Once you understand the theory, watch several videos on the skill being shown on YouTube. This reinforces what you have read, and should give you a pretty good idea of how the move should be completed. You then need to practice.
It is a good idea to re-read and watch the YouTube videos every now and again, when you are beginning a new skill. You may find as you practice you pick up bad habits and are not repeating it correctly. Once you can make a move and are just trying to improve your speed and accuracy, this will not be necessary.
Remember to take a break every 15 minutes, as you are practicing the same move; you are using the same muscles and tendons. Taking a break allows them to recover, reducing the chances of a Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), and also improves your concentration and focus.
What Foosball Skills Should You Be Practicing By Yourself? Intermediate and advanced players know the game well, and will probably understand what is lacking in their game, or what they want to improve. So here we will concentrate on what the beginner to intermediate need to learn.
Correct Stance Making sure you have the correct foosball posture when playing is critical. Beginners rarely realize this is critical to the best speed and movement, when positioning your players and shooting.
Gripping The Handles You will need to learn how to grip the handles, not too tightly. There are two basic grips: The Foosball Wrist Grip and The Foosball Open Palm Grip.
Being able to shoot the ball at high speeds towards the opponent’s goal is an essential skill, and always needs to be faster.
5 Bar Passes & 5 Bar Hacks
The 5 bar is one of the most important that you have, being able to pass the ball from man to man and take shots is another essential skill
Once you have the above skill mastered, you will be a better-than-average player. But there are a lot more things to learn and practice. There are some YouTube playlists later in this article, they have videos showing you how to practice individual skills, so I will not list them all here.
Improve Your Accuracy (Practice Plate)
When you are playing alone, it's straightforward to score a goal, as there is no defence. To make it more challenging, you can use a Practice Plate. This a piece of wood or similar that you put in front of the goal. It makes the area that you have to shoot at much smaller requiring higher skill and accuracy. You can make several of these with smaller and smaller holes, as your skill improves.
How Much Practice Do I Need When Playing By Myself?
This is a hard question to answer, as it really should be “As much as possible.” Everyone has different time constraints on their day and is aiming at varying levels in the game. Not everyone expects they can become a professional (For example, I know I will never reach the top levels in Foosball).
I know some ranked amateurs; they are practicing foosball alone for around 2 hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week
How To Measure My Progress In Practiced Skills
As you will practice moves hundreds of times over several weeks or even months, it may be hard to know if you are improving. Each time you practice a move, you will get a better by an imperceptible amount, which makes it difficult to notice yourself.
You can ask someone to watch you when you practice, and then again few weeks later, and ask them if you have improved. But you are likely to get the answers “Yes” or “I don’t know”, which are not a great help!
A much better solution is to video yourself practicing at the start for a few minutes, then again at regular intervals. This can be done by most people now, as they have access to a smartphone or digital camera.
When you video yourself, you can compare your skills with what they were like a week, or a month ago, so that you can see that you are getting better. This encourages you to keep trying, as you can see the improvement. You can also compare what you are doing with experts on YouTube videos, checking that your stance, positioning, and play are correct, making adjustments to your game as necessary. You will be playing professional foosball in no time!
How Do I Learn Foosball?
You can learn foosball from someone who already has the skills you need to acquire and practice. This person can show you each foosball move and then you can try it under their supervision, so that you learn how to make a new foosball move correctly.
If you do not know anyone who is a skilled foosball player that you can learn from, you can learn foosball by reading foosball learning books or blogs on how to learn to play foosball. Once you understand the theory, you can watch videos on YouTube on each foosball move and try to practice what based on what you already read about it.
Taking breaks when you are practicing a new foosball move is important, so that you do not strain your muscles and tendons too much. This way you can avoid Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI).
How Do You Hit Hard In Foosball?
To hit hard in foosball, you need to learn the wrist flick, since spinning the rods is an illegal move and it can also damage the components of your foosball table, so it is not advisable.
Try practicing some shots where you hit the ball by concentrating on your wrist, keeping it straight and down towards the floor. Also, remember to keep holding the rods tightly at the last moment for a correct wrist flick.
How Do You Hold A Foosball Handle?
It is important to know how to hold a foosball handle. Gripping the handles is essential when learning foosball, and you need to learn how to adjust your grip so that it is not too tight, but not too loose either, and how to choose between the two basic grips, which are the foosball closed hand grip and the foosball open palm grip.
How do you know if you are holding the foosball handle correctly? For the closed hand grip, pay attention to the skin between your index finger and thumb. If it is completely wrapped around the handle, that is a sign that you are gripping too hard. For the open palm grip, it is your wrist that is touching the handle and turns the rod.
What Books/Posts Can Help Me Improve My Game.
There are several books available that may help you learn foosball. We have an article on Foosball Books here Foosball Books
Some of these books are :
There are also thousands of blog posts telling you how to do a particular shot. These are not always as in-depth as some books, but they are free. Just google to find them, for example, to learn the “Wrist Flick” google:
“learn foosball wrist flick.”
What Is The Best Equipment For Foosball Training?
When practicing alone, the one thing that you must have is access to a Foosball table. Ideally, you need men that have an excellent quality foot square with a cross hatch for greater ball control. You want these men to be counterbalanced, but this is less important than the foot quality.
You also need a good quality ball, cork balls are the best for practicing ball control, but are slower than other balls. These do not seem to be used much in America. The most popular ball here is the Textured Foosball, like those supplied by Dynamo. These are fast balls with reasonable control. This is the type of ball you will use in actual games, so it is the type you should practice with.
Do not waste your time playing with a cheap plastic ball. A good ball is only a few dollars and will last a long time.
What Videos Can Help Me Improve My Game?
Again on YouTube, there is no shortage of videos instructing you on how to perform every move and every skill related to Foosball. Below are some of my favorites :
Unreal Foos Tutorials
Simple tutorials showing you how to make a lot of moves of a Foosball table
Road To Pro
A guy is telling you his story as he attempts to go Pro as a Foosball player. Has tutorial videos as well
Foosball Pull Shot: Zero to Hero
A set of videos instructing you on how to perform the Pull Shot
Easy Foosball Tutorials
Another set of videos showing a beginner how to make a lot of the basic moves required for becoming a great foosball player. there is no playlist, just look in the publishers' video list, they are easy to find
Bestseller No. 1 Best Choice Products 48-Inch Competition Sized Foosball Table w/ 2...
- VERSATILE 48-INCH GAME SET: Competition-sized foosball table brings fun to any setting, perfect for home game rooms, arcades, and other entertainment areas
- PLAYER-FRIENDLY DESIGN: Features 8 rows to allow 4 rows per team, 11 red players and 11 white players, as well as a cup holder on each end to stay hydrated when competition heats up
- ERGONOMIC HANDLES: Rod bars have comfortable grips to better control the ball (2 balls included) as it slides on the smooth, friction-less surface for that game winning goal
- DURABLE COMPOSITION: Game room classic is crafted with sturdy composite wood and chrome-finished steel rods to keep the table functioning for years to come
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 48"(L) x 24"(W) x 33"(H); Recommended for ages: 3+ years
SaleBestseller No. 2 ESPN SOC056_218E 56 Inch Arcade Foosball Table
- Dimensions: 56" L x 28.75" w x 34.5" H
- Product weight 92 lbs. MDF construction with a PVC laminate finish delivers long-lasting durability to handle thousands of matches
- 5/8 inch chrome-plated metal rods for increased durability
- Hand painted players in two team colors, 26 players. Suggested room size no less than 8feet X 6feet
- Traditional bead scoring System to keep track of the action
SaleBestseller No. 3 MD Sports Table Tennis, Slide Hockey, Foosball, Billiards, 54”...
- DIMENSIONS: 24.5" W x 54" L x 35.25" H | Weight: 80 lb
- ONE SIZE FOR ALL YOUR GAMING NEEDS: The MD Sports all-inclusive converter table means you don’t need to invest in multiple games or choose just one. Fully equipped, Table Tennis, Slide Hockey, Pool, and Foosball combination kit comes with all the basics
- SOLID BUILD FOR COMPETITIVE PLAY: Using premium materials like MDF, ABS, PVC, Metal, and solid wood, you can rest assured that the table surfaces and accessories are quality, durable parts that will withstand a lot of wear-and-tear over the years
- INCLUDED WITH YOUR GAME KIT:A pool table, table tennis top, hockey mat, football attachment,2 hockey pushers,2 pucks,a billiard ball set,2 cues,1 ball rack,2 chalk,1 felt brush,table tennis net,2 table tennis paddles,2 table tennis balls, and 2 footballs
- PERFECT FOR PARTIES OR GIFTS: If you’re looking for a fun addition to a get-together or want a unique gift idea, this converting table is ideal! These multi game kits are great for weddings, housewarmings, birthdays, Father’s Day, or Christmas
Bestseller No. 4 Best Choice Products 10-in-1 Game Table w/Foosball, Pool,...
- VERSATILE 10-IN-1 TABLE: Interchangeable table top lets you play slide hockey, foosball, pool, shuffleboard, table tennis, chess, cards, checkers, bowling, and backgammon
- SPACE-SAVING DESIGN: All surfaces can be stacked between the billiard base and foosball table, making it ideal for placement in a child's bedroom or a bonus game room
- ENDLESS FAMILY FUN: 10 options for friendly competition provide hours of fun for the entire family! Let children battle it out in shuffleboard, or watch Grandpa show them how it's done
- CLASSIC GAMEROOM LOOK: This table is bordered with a natural wood-like exterior that will blend well in any gameroom or bonus room in your home
- STABLE BUILD: Game tops rest on 4 strong legs, with each standing on non-slip footing to ensure stability; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 48"(L) x 24"(W) x 30.5"(H)
Bestseller No. 5 Rally and Roar Foosball Table Game – 56” Standard Size Fun, Multi...
- NEVERENDING ENTERTAINMENT: This popular and fun classic game is easy to play, and a great interactive family game excelelnt for the whole family to play, perfect for an innocent family game night or adult play
- SIMPLE TO ASSEMBLE, FUN TO PLAY: Our full size 56” foosball soccer set requires little assembly, no electricity or batteries, and doesn’t involve complicated instructions or rules, encouraging multiplayer, socializing, dynamic strategy and smiles
- PRO LEVEL: Whether you’re playing in tournaments or recreationally, our hand soccer table is for everyone, with a smooth turf, ergonomic handles, weighted “players”, and a solid wood bead scorer, there is nothing amateur about our table football set
- STURDY, HEAVY-DUTY: This durable tabletop foosball game boasts ⅝” diameter chrome-plated, steel rods with wood handles, players always feel in control, and ramped edges allow for continual motion with leg levelers ensure an even playing surface
- VERSATILITY AND ELEGANCE: Unlike many table soccer games that are made for entertainment and not quality, the Rally and Roar wood handle foosball games are designed to bring class to any basement, game room, man cave, bar, arcade, lounge, or backyard
SaleBestseller No. 6 Barrington Billiards Brooks 48 Inch Foosball Table, Black/Brown
- Robot style players require no tools for assembly for fast and easy set up.
- Reinforced 18mm thick aprons provide additional strength and support.
- Features comfortable plastic handle grips and electroplated 1/2" diameter steel rods to withstand the most intense game play action.
- Sturdy 'X' legs with metal connection bar for extra support and stability and hidden leg levelers ensure an even play surface.
- Slide bead scorer helps keep track of the action and 2 traditional soccer ball style foosballs are included.
Bestseller No. 7 Sport Squad FX40 40 inch Table Top Foosball Table for Adults and Kids...
- UNPLUG & PLAY: Enjoy fast paced play on this compact tabletop foosball table. Stay active and spend quality time with family and friends. Bring it to a family gathering, birthday party, or tailgate event. DIMS: 40"L x 20"W x 8"H and weighs 15 lbs.
- FOOSBALL PLAYERS ARE PRE-ASSEMBLED ON THE RODS FOR FASTER TABLE ASSEMBLY: This classic version of table soccer is fun for all ages. Chrome-plated steel rods are ideal for swift shots while the rubber grooved handles enable a strong, stable grip.
- GOOOOOOAAAALLLL!: Superior MDF design is built to withstand competitive and convenient play. The FX40 Foosball table includes two goal boxes with ball return. The soccer table also features non-marking rubber pads to protect all your table surfaces.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Sport Squad listens and learns from your feedback to create quality gameroom equipment for kids & adults. If you're not 100% satisfied or have product suggestions our customer service team is available to help.
- SPORT SQUAD - BRINGING FAMILY AND FRIENDS TOGETHER: As an American based company, Sport Squad brings new innovation to playing indoors and outdoors by introducing affordable, quality sports, lawn, tailgate, carnival, and game room games to market.
SaleBestseller No. 8 Triumph Sweeper 48" Foosball Table
- Spacious regulation tournament sized playfield for hours of game play
- 8-15.8mm diameter chrome plated hollow steel player rods
- Includes 4-36mm solid soccer balls
- 26 individual molded players
- Ergonomic grips for comfortable use
Bestseller No. 9 Giantex Foosball Table, Wooden Soccer Table Game w/Footballs, Suit for...
- ⚽ Restore Real Game Scene: Comes with 2 balls and 22 players, our foosball table simulates the real football field to provide exciting game experience. And the scorers on both sides can help you record your game scores at any time.
- ⚽ Durable Material & Sturdy Structure: Made of thick MDF board, this foosball table has good impact resistance, which is not easy to deform or crack. Four 1.5” levelers ensure the overall stability of the game table, while not scratching the floor.
- ⚽ Ergonomic Handles & Smooth Playing Surface: The rod bars have comfortable anti-skid grips which are ergonomically designed to better control the balls. The large and smooth playing field ensures smoother ball rolling, allowing the game to be played at a fast pace.
- ⚽ Easy to Assemble: With detailed assembly instruction and all hardware delivered, it is easy to set up your foosball table with a finished size of 48" x 24" x 31" (L x W x H). It’s suitable for a variety of occasions such as game room, office or club.
- ⚽ Suitable for All Ages: The classic table football game can fully exercise the players' thinking ability and hand-eye coordination ability. And the easy to understand game play and flexible rules make it suitable for all kinds of people, whether kids or adults, beginners or advanced players.
Bestseller No. 10 Table Soccer Foosballs Replacements Mini Black and White Soccer Balls...
- Pair these fun sports balls with other novelty toys, DIY art projects, crafts toy accessories, and birthday party favors. Makes the perfect pastime activity for a rainy day at home or school recess playtime. Excellent size for most standard foosball table games.
- High quality and durable mini table soccer balls, this set of balls is just what the foosball enthusiast needs. Let your imagination run wild with these mini foosball table sized plastic balls for art projects, football soccer birthday decorations, classroom rewards or child's play activity! These hot toys are a must for world cup soccer fans. These mini plastic toy balls fit almost any soccer game table.
- Keep the fun table games going with these replacement durable bright foosballs! A must for leisure sports in any game room. Makes the perfect outdoor toys for carnival prizes, Pinatas, or with other fun gag gifts. These kids toys are the perfect pairing for game day school rewards and prizes for children.
- Have these essential soccer ball birthday party supplies ready for your next special event. Makes the perfect prize in kids party favor bags, party favor boxes, mixed with pinata candy and as party favors for adults.
- Foosball measurements in diameter: 36mm (1.4"). Comes in a package of 6 foosball replacements. Each ball weighs 24 grams. Colored in black and white with engraved traditional soccer ball pattern.
If you require more information, please check these references
www.foosballguides.com , article, “Play Practice Foosball By Yourself “, retrieved on, Tue 28-May-2020
forum.britfoos.com , article, “Viewtopic Php”, retrieved on, Tue 28-May-2020
www.reddit.com , article, “Practicing Defense Solo “, retrieved on, Tue 28-May-2020