I was playing foosball in a Pub in the UK, and I was wondering: Does the lighting affect the gameplay in a Foosball Match?
There is nothing worse in foosball than playing in a dark and dingy environment where you cannot see your men or the ball well. Alternatively, light glaring off the table and blinding you is just as bad. Here we will discuss lighting your Foosball table properly. These factors will seriously affect any skills you have in this game
Natural light is great for Foosball
Why You Need The Right Foosball Table Lighting
Getting the right level of brightness of light in your playing area will not only help you create that ambient games room feel, but it will also and more importantly, stop any deceiving shadows and annoying glare off any glass, or balls being used.
Having the light too dim will mean that you cannot see the players, and more importantly, the ball well, will affect your depth of perception when shooting and passing the ball. Whereas having the light too bright may irritate the player’s eyes.
Range Of Foosball Lights
There is a limited range of lighting explicitly designed for a foosball table. However, any type of light that is pushed in a downward direction on to the table will do a good job. Pool / Billiards or Snooker lights are a great example. Most of these lights take multiple bulbs of up to 60 watts to ensure that the table is evenly lit over its whole length. A cheaper option is to have a single pendant light in the centre of the table. If the light is too bright, the bulb can be changed for a 40-watt or lower.
Controlling The Brightness Over The Table
Most Table Light sets will allow up to a 60-watt bulb, which is recommended, but it’s not uncommon to use a 40-watt bulb if you find the 60 watt too bright. The alternative option is to fit a dimmer switch, this will allow complete control of the lighting. These switches are not expensive, and easily installed by anyone with a small amount of home improvement ability
- 72" Pool Table Light - Quantity of 4 - 15" metal shades
- Metal shades are painted white inside to reflect the light onto the playing surface
- Recommended for 9 foot pool tables - UL listed - Can install hard wired or plug in with adaptor ( adaptor not included ) - - A licensed electrician is recommended for installation
- Mounting hardware and instructions included - Adjustable chain for preferred hanging distance from ceiling
- Iszy Billiards
Lighting Without Altering The Room
If altering the room is not possible, the lighting can be improved using standing lamps. This is not ideal, but can improve the lighting a lot. Generally you will need 2 of these, one placed at each end where they will not be in the way of the players.
- CLASSIC DESIGN: the clean and simple lines of this classic floor lamp will beautifully illuminate any space
- ADJUSTABLE SPOTLIGHT: with an adjustable black gooseneck, you can direct the light where you need it most
- COST SAVINGS: save $55 in energy costs over the life of the bulb as compared to traditional incandescent bulbs
- VERSATILE PLACEMENT: with a long cord you can place this lamp anywhere, even if a wall socket is far away
- BULB INCLUDED: 1x E26/Medium Base LED Bulb Included - 10-watt, 60-watt equivalent - 800 lumens - 3000 kelvin (soft white) - 9,000 hour bulb life
Last update on 2019-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API