Thinking about kayaking in cold weather? Here are all the things you need to know when kayaking in winter.
Planning on kayaking in the water for the very first time? Here is everything you need to know before you take the leap.
Kayaking is an excellent sport for people who enjoy water sports. It’s easy, fun, refreshing and gives you a complete new perspective of the marine life.
It’s more like riding a bike. Within a few hours, once you paddle, you will have complete control over your speed and your vessel while you are enjoying watching nature up close.
There are various types of kayaking such as white water kayaking, flat-water kayaking and sea kayaking. It is up to the user that which kind of sport he enjoys the most.
However, there are a few things you need to know when kayaking in winter. It could be dangerous if you’re a beginner and don’t have control over your speed and the vessel you’re paddling. So, we have enlisted all the factors you need to keep in perspective down below.
Read: some best kayaks you may need
Things you need to know when kayaking in winter!
The very first thing that we would like you to consider is getting professional training for kayaking. You’re probably thinking that you don’t really need a kayaking lesson. We mean come one, how hard could it be to paddle a vessel?
But trust us when we say you need it. If you don’t have proper coaching for this sport, you’re going to find yourself paddling in circles for the first few hours. But with a lesson, you won’t have to waste a lot of time and you will paddle like a pro as soon as you’re in the water.
Dress for water and not weather!
Many people, when going kayaking, make this mistake of dressing up for the weather and not the water. It could be a hot sunny day so you will feel it is okay to kayak in your shorts, but you also need to keep in mind that there is a great chance the water is icy cold.
We suggest you wear a wetsuit which in case you fall in the water and there is a great chance you will, you will have lesser chances of catching a cold.
Always opt for the right boat
When shopping for kayaks, you will find a ton of options that include narrow boats, long boats, wide kayaks and so much more.
Your kayak choice depends on the experience you want to have. Suppose you’re going for whitewater kayaking then you need something with more precision and speed. Long and narrow boats will work here.
However, if you just want to enjoy a leisurely day on water, then a wide boat will work just fine.
Don’t forget wearing buoyancy aid
Doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or an expert, wearing a buoyancy aid is essential to your safety.
Buoyancy aids are more like lifejackets, but they allow better movements for paddling and give you room enough to move your hands and knees conveniently.
This is a very necessary kit that every kayaker needs to wear. Even if you’re an efficient swimmer, we still suggest that you wear it because it’s water that you’re going into and things can get dangerous any second without you even realizing it.
Always sit efficiently
We know this might have seemed silly, but it’s true. Many people don’t know how to sit properly in a kayak and because they don’t, they can never seem to kayak properly.
Your kayak might come with ergonomic back, but we suggest that you don’t slouch. Sit straight up while travelling and make sure your buttocks are aligned with your back at 90-degrees. There are also foot pegs on each side of the kayak to rest your feet.
When you’re yakking, stay active and sit appropriately to have better control over the vessel.
Hold the paddle correctly
This is going to seem obvious, but many people don’t even know that they are holding the paddle incorrectly, which is why we had to mention it.
You need to hold the paddle with both your hands and make sure the concave side of the blade is facing you. Once you dip the paddle in the water, the concave side should seep through the water and your knuckles should be aligned with it.
Bring extra clothes always
This is a very simple thing to do, but often people forget about it. Always bring an extra pair of clothes, especially if you’re going to be kayaking for hours. Nobody wants to stay in clothes for too long and in case you are camping at the other side of the river, having extra clothes and essentials will become even more important.
Learn how to rescue yourself and the others
Another very important thing to consider is to know how you are going to rescue yourself if something goes wrong. You’re probably not going to capsize on your very first kayaking excursion if the water is flat and calm, but it’s good to be prepared for the worst.
There are various capsizing drills being taught at kayaking schools. It is vital that you take those lessons.
So, these are all the things you need to know when kayaking in winter. We hope we could shed some insight on all the essential aspects of yakking. If you have any other suggestions in this regard, do let us know through your feedback below.
How cold is too cold for kayaking?
Any temperature that goes beneath 60 degrees Fahrenheit is dangerous for kayaking.
What can possibly happen? Hypothermia. It is a condition when your body loses heat more than it produces. Another possibility is gasp reflex; when your body wants to suck in air without you meaning to. These two can be very dangerous, especially if you are kayaking very far and happen to fall in the water.
When the temperature is between 55-59 degrees, the risk is moderate, between 45-54 degrees there is a high risk of hypothermia and below 45 degrees it's extremely risky.
What should I wear for kayaking in 50 degree weather?
A Kayak drysuit is essential for kayaking under that temperature.
Drysuits with latex gaskets in the wrist and neck keep you 100% dry during complete immersion, while Neoprene gaskets provide more comfort by the neck.
It is very important to get a suit that fits you properly, to minimize the chances of getting water in it.
Can you kayak if you can't swim?
It is not required to know how to swim before kayaking, but it is necessary for safety reasons.
Some water bodies are very shallow and may have a slight current which usually flips boats over.
Kayaking without swimming may also limit you from totally enjoying your activity, as you will not be able to kayak everywhere.
WhichTableGame is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Bestseller No. 1 Winter Gloves for Men Women,Cold Weather Thermal Glove Windproof Water...
- Three-layer Composite - GORELOX thermal gloves are three-layer composite,The surface layer is high-density carbon fiber windproof and waterproof, the middle layer is SBR anti-seepage coating, and the inner lining is a double fleece liner.three insulation fabrics winter gloves protect you against the subzero temperatures of cold winter days. Double shirred elastic wrist with zipper keeps the glove closed around your skin and keeps dirt, debris, snow and cold wind out in outdoor sports.
- High Sensitivity Touchscreen - The Touch Screen Gloves Coated with touch conductive material on the thumb and index finger part,allows you to use phone,tablet,smart watch,car"s touchscreen panels ithout exposing your hand in the cold weather but keep your fingers warm and dry while you use your devices.
- Anti-slip Design - Anti-slip silicone design on the palm patches and fingers for a better grip even in rainy days, abrasion resistant and anti-skid, offering better use experience for work.Outdoor sports gloves perfect for running, cycling, climbing, riding, hiking, driving, shooting fishing.
- Windproof ＆ Warmth - Cycling gloves are sewn in high quality water Resistant TPU which can keep hands warm and dry even in snow or light rain when you are cycling, running or daily wear.Please note that the fabric of shell is waterproof, but the seams and tips of the thumb and index finger is not waterproof.Do NOT get wet for a long time.
- Superior Dexterity and Durability - Warm gloves for men/women are designed with 3D tailoring, which is flexible and Superior stretchy at ease. Strengthening and smooth sewing, adding durability to gloves and ensure longer services time.if you have any problems with the winter gloves, please feel free to contact us, All issues will be solved within 24 hours.
SaleBestseller No. 2 Mission Cooling Bucket Hat- UPF 50, 3” Wide Brim, Cools When Wet-...
- COOLS INSTANTLY When activated with water it cools to 30 degrees below average body temperature in under 30 seconds! Activate quickly in 3 steps: Wet it, Wring it out and Wave it. To reactivate, just re-wet and wave. Keeps cool for hours, the bucket hat stays cool up to 2 hours so that you can comfortably stay active longer.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, PORTABLE & ADJUSTABLE The lightweight fabric & soft structure make it easy to fold small for packing or sticking in your back pocket. Yet, the brim is reinforced with quilted stitching so that it does not flop down on your face. For optimum comfort and function there is an adjustable elastic cord chin strap, and brass pin snaps on either side to pin the brim up.
- COOL MORE. DO MORE Enjoy staying active longer & doing what you love even when the temperature rises with the cooling & refreshing MISSION Bucket Hat! Great for Fishing, Hiking, Working Outside, Gardening, Yard Work, Car Detailing, Concerts, Festivals, BBQ, Tailgating, Vacations, the Beach, Lake, Pool, or anytime you want to feel instantly cooler.
- SUN PROTECTION A 3’ brim and UPF 50 fabric offers excellent sun protection for the face, ears, and neck.
- CHEMICAL-FREE COOLING The bucket hat is reusable and machine washable, with permanent chemical-free cooling fabric technology that will never wash out
Bestseller No. 3 Intex Explorer K2 Kayak, 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum...
- Comfortable for anyone: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- Dimensions: Inflated size 10 feet 3 x 3 feet x 1 feet 8 inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Directional stability: Removable SKEG for directional stability
- Increased visibility: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- Made for smaller bodies of water: Explorer k2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
SaleBestseller No. 4 Intex Challenger K1 Kayak, 1-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum...
- Nimble, durable kayak is made of durable welded material with eye catching graphics for added safety on the lake or slow moving river
- Cockpit is designed for comfort and maximized space, and inflatable I beam floors add stability. Removable skeg provides exceptional directional movement
- Cargo net to store extra gear, and grab line on both ends of kayak; Inflatable seat with backrest
- Comes with 84 inch aluminum oar, repair patch and Hi output manual hand pump; Rugged vinyl construction
- Measures 30 by 15 by 108 inches (W x H x D), with 27.2 pound weight and 220 pound maximum capacity
SaleBestseller No. 5 Palmyth Flexible Fishing Gloves Warm for Men and Women Cold Weather...
- Perfect convertible gloves for almost sports including fishing, photography, Motorcycling. Flip back thumb, index finger and middle finger caps with metal buttons free your fingers to tie a fishing line while keeping your hands warm, operate your camera in cold weather, use your phone during your journey without compromising performance, protection, and dexterity. Recommended at 36°or warmer but NOT great for extremely cold weather or heavy snow days
- Breathable water-repellent and windproof softshell repels water and snow (Please note that the water resistance of these gloves were designed mainly for accidental water splashed, not for dipping into water or heavy rain). Plush fleece backing for better in thermal insulation, Partial synthetic leather Reinforced palm for a better grip and durability
- Adjustable wrist velcro strap for any size wrist and fix your wrists will not fall off. Snug fit elastic neoprene cuffs keep the gloves tight to your hands and keep cold wind out. Finger tips pull ring easy to take off gloves
- 3 cut fingers design means you retain manoeuvrability and dexterity so these gloves are suitable for fishermen, anglers, hunters, photographers, cyclists, motorcyclists, runners, shooters, hikers, outdoor athletes
- Please measure around your palm before selecting a size by using the sizing chart in the product image. If you are in-between sizes, please select the larger size for a more comfortable fit. If you prefer a loose fitting glove, the next size up maybe better. Tip: Machine and hand washable but Do Not bleach, iron or use fabric softner
Bestseller No. 6 Women's Walking Shoes Sock Sneakers - Mesh Slip On Air Cushion Lady...
- This shoe's sizing is equivalent to street shoe size.Width between medium and wide.
- Boxed toe for toe stands,super lightweight and flexible just like socks,breathable and smooth fabric provide great freedom and comfortable feeling. Let you enjoy your travel on holidays.
- MD out-sole with air cushion.High-quality rubber materail is non-slip and wear-resistant.Platform measures approximately 1.96''
- Perforated arch for ventilation and breathability.Classic air cushion design makes these shoes are perfect work shoes for those who needs to stand or walk for long time.
- These shoes are suitable for any daily used,such as:long time standing work,walking,casual,floor shoes,plantar fasciitis,nursing,fishing,gardening,dress,shopping,travel,driving,jazz,tap dance,street jazz,ballet,folk dance,zumba,athletic,workout.
Bestseller No. 7 HotHands Hand Warmers - Long Lasting Safe Natural Odorless Air...
- SAFE, NATURAL LONG-LASTING HEAT - Odorless, Disposable, Single-Use Item, Do Not Apply Directly to The Skin. TSA Approved. Made in the USA using domestic and imported materials. No shaking or kneading required
- TO ACTIVATE - Remove warmer from outer package, shake to activate. Warmer heats up in 15-30 minutes. If heat decreases, expose warmer to air and shake. After use, dispose with regular garbage. Ingredients will not harm the environment.
- MULTIPURPOSE WARMERS - Single use air-activated heat packs that provide everyday warmth and are ideal for keeping your body warm when the temperature gets cold. They’re available in several styles designed for your hands, feet, and body.
- WHEN TO USE: Tailgating at Events, Outdoor Sporting Events, Hunting & Fishing, Camping & Hiking, Working in The Yard, Jogging or Taking Your Pet for A Walk. Convenient, Compact, Portable.
SaleBestseller No. 8 Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing...
- Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core: Light weight and highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact and sunlight
- High pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability, with high pressure spring loaded valves for easy inflation and fast deflation
- Includes 2 removable skews for deep and shallow water, 2 floor mounted footrests, 2 integrated recessed fishing rod holders, 2 adjustable bucket seats
- Removable and adjustable mounting bracket for additional accessories, such as GPS systems, fish finders, swivel fishing rod holders etc. Includes a carry bag and repair patch
- Storage space in bow and Stern with stainless steel d rings for tying down Dry bags and gear; Kayak total weight capacity: 400 pounds
Bestseller No. 10 21C Neoprene Mittens for Cold Weather - Waterproof Insulated Mitts -...
- COMFORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT. With a thin thermal neoprene outer shell, our mittens are wind-proof, impermeable, and a pleasure to wear thanks to their soft fleece lining. Well-insulated, they are an ideal choice for outdoor activities in cold and/or wet conditions such as walking, hiking, camping, etc.
- SLEEK AND SIMPLE DESIGN. Slightly stretchable neoprene material makes it a cinch to put on and take off, with no velcro straps, zippers, or buttons getting in the way.
- UNISEX AND AVAILABLE IN 2 SIZES. Please measure your hand circumference at the thickest part, around your knuckles, to pick the best fit. See pictures for size chart. If you are in between sizes, we recommend selecting the smaller size.
- WARMER THAN GLOVES. Fingers keep their heat better when they stay together, making mittens warmer than gloves. If you suffer from Raynaud's syndrome, neuropathy, poor circulation, and your hands get cold easily, these mittens are just what you need.
- FUNCTIONAL AND DURABLE. Easy to clean too, just use a damp cloth to wipe away dirt from surface. Hand wash in cold water with mild detergent and air-dry flat. Your 21C neoprene mittens will last a very long time.